University of Miami (UM)
**Please note this review is mainly from a transfer student's perspective.
Location: Coral Gables, Miami
Degrees offered: B. Arch & M. Arch
# of Faculty: 75 full-time and part-time faculty and 7 associated faculty, collaborative associations among faculty and students are the norm. Of the 33 full-time faculty, 72% are involved in professional practice, 75% have terminal degrees in the discipline and the remaining 25% have terminal degrees in related fields, including fine art, art history or planning.
# of Students: nearly 400 students
Class size: small class sizes - around 10 students per studio
Cost: undergrad 2010/2011 Academic year
- Tuition - $ 38440 / yr
- Fees - $ 1214 / yr
- Books & Material - $ 4000 a semester ( from my experience this is actually like $ 6000 a yr but could be more)
Financial Aid & Scholarships: Available. Click here
Application Requirements: Application to UM (Common Application), Application to School of Architecture, Application fee, 3 academic recommendation letters, Letter of intent, resume, Portfolio, Letter from the dean of student services, transcripts. Click here for detailed description of transfer applicant requirements
Deadlines: Undergrad transfer Click here , Undergrad freshman click here.
Pros: Small class sizes, professional degree, aimed at professional practicing. Very convenient and beautiful location, the real college experience, experienced professional faculty
Cons: I loved the school setting so I am going to be bias. The biggest drawback would be the high cost.
Notes: Set in beautiful Coral Gables, a wonderful and a convenient location, UM is a school that offers small class sizes and probably the best Architecture undergraduate experience in Miami. A good place to study if you are planning to become a practitioner. Make sure to meet the dean of student affairs and find out what classes they will accept and what classes you can take before you transfer there. Their staff is very, very helpful.